History of the Old Baptist Chapel
An influential member and trustee of the chapel at the end of the eighteenth century was John Hinton, a cloth manufacturer of Bradford and a generous benefactor at the time of the rebuilding.
In 1795 he accepted the honorary pastorate of the Baptist church at Beckington, living in Bradford and riding over every Sunday morning. The Sunday services at Beckington began with a prayer meeting at 6 a.m. and included three preaching services. Hinton only took two of these, returning to Bradford after the afternoon preaching.
It is recorded that 'Mr Hinton's ministry was marked by showers of blessing'. During the twelve months up to May 1807 sixty-one persons were baptized. He resigned his pastorate in 1815 and died in 1821. He was buried in the Bradford chapel yard and left a legacy to the church.